gifted hands

I read "Gifted Hands" a book about Dr Ben Carson, an incredible nuerosurgeon-one who does brain surgery. I almost couldn't believe it when I read the paragraphs below about a brain op on a young girl called Maranda..

"The dramatic surgery began simply, with an incision drawn down the scalp. The assisting surgeon suctioned away blood with a hand-held tube while I cauterized small vessels. One by one, steel clips were placed on the edge of the incision to keep it open. The small operating room was cool and quiet.

Then I cut deeper through a second layer of scalp. Again small vessels were sealed shut, and a suction tube whisked away blood.

I drilled six holes, each the size of a shirt button, in Maranda's skull. The holes formed a semi-circle, beginnning in front of her left ear and curving up across her temple, above and down behind the ear. Each hole was filled with purified beeswax to cushion the saw. Then with an air powered saw I connected the holes into an incision and lifted back the left side of Maranda's skull to expose the outer covering of her brain."

Maranda had half her brain removed as it was badly inflammed. And after that, she recovered from her seizures and could function normally. Wow.. this is really a miracle. Dr Ben Carson is a Christian and the book described his journey of trusting in God in his life, and especially in the surgery room, it's amazing..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mongolia

'Hesed' way of life

in remembrance of my dear bro-Christopher