facing pain and suffering

I'm sure you are aware of the recent wipeout of hundreds of thousands of lives in the Tsunami Tradgedy. In the face of outrageous loss and pain and suffering, I wonder how you felt? I hadn't been especially reactive or sentimental-not exactly angry nor shocked. Maybe it's because it hasn't really hit me.

We had a Crisis Counselling training session this afternoon. Post trauma depression, pyschosocial intervention, psychological first aid..those big terms suddenly made sense to me and became reality with the tsunami tradgedy as context.

I felt heavy hearted. Especially when I heard that one of the problems will be orphans whose parents have been washed away by the waves. My heart simply tugged.

As I was on my way back, I decided to flip through a book I brought with me to office today. It's titled," What they didn't teach me in Sunday School". And I read this chapter "Sometimes answers aren't the last word". It was talking about pain and suffering. The Jew Homicide, Sept 11, shooting school,plane crashes. All seemed to demand an answer that people debated about, and pondered over and over.

One most unforgettable lines I saw this "at such moments reasons will not be my deepest need. And if in silence you simply hold me and cry with me, I will be comforted."

How simply profound this pain and suffering is!

This morning, as we went through an Apologetics and Evangelism Training by Dave Giesler, one thing that I remembered he said is this "We can trust God in the things we don't understand because of the things we do."

For now, what seems a personal response is the prayer of the author's Sunday school teacher "Lord help me to deal with what I cannot understand..."

for a Christian perspective on the Tsunami tragedy, pls go to http://sccc.org.sg


Comments

Drew said…
Elloz~ Stumbled onto your blog~ Just dropping by~

Popular posts from this blog

Mongolia

'Hesed' way of life

in remembrance of my dear bro-Christopher