Christmas in Tokyo

A mission trip to Tokyo wasn't in my radar.  But preparation for it went underway in October when I was assigned to lead it.
I brought 9 students along on this trip.  Qingwen was (thankfully) with me and so was Henry.  It wasn't easy handling the different personalities and needs.  But I believed the trip was divinely arranged as we squared off one another at different points of the trip.  It was definitely a refresher in discipling students!
The cold air ushered a whole new world for us as we stepped out of Narita Airport.  After a two hr bus ride, we met our local staff host Sok Yee, whom is an amazing lady by the way.  She handled our pre trip arrangemements with the hotel, church and many other nitty gritty details.  I thank God for her.

I ate my first Mc Pork at the Mac and loved it.  We took the train to our hotel and that was the quietest ride I've ever experienced in my life.  There seems to be an invisibe instrcution of no noise inside, not even that of an SMS.

We settled into the hotel and I was impressed by the very polite service.  That was the nicest change I loved from being away from home.

Things rolled on and days went by with a very packed schedule.  We visited the church the next day and met its pastor, Pastor Stanley.  15 years has passed since he started ICCS.  And he is still oozing enthusiasm (hemmed with the harsh reality of ministry there) passion and vision for the community.  I was simply awed by such a devotion to the cause of winning the Japanese to Christ.  My heart warmed at knowing that God has placed such a great servant leader in this land.

We prepared two Christmas parties.  From experience I didn't expect much of the results to come from us.  We didn't have much time to prepare and we are short of talent.  But as always, God is strong in our weakness.  In fact, the 5 senior persons whom received Christ was definitely God's intervention!  I'm just so glad we could be a part of what the church has been doing for so long.

10 days later and back in Singapore.  Sweet memories of the students, the church, the Japanese as I browse through the photos put up on Facebook.  It's been an amazing time.  Minus the cold and the student issues, I must say I've enjoyed this mission trip very much.  I've had the opportunity to refresh my perspective on missions in an overseas country, to witness God working powerfully through His perservering saints.  And also had some space away from home to ponder where I am personally.

Unlike before, I think I've gained a deeper understanding and appreciation of the Japanese culture, her people and the great difficulty doing mission work there.  It's my first Christmas overseas and what a meaningful one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mongolia

'Hesed' way of life

in remembrance of my dear bro-Christopher